Click here to return to the news release homepage.
Sun Peaks Achieves Record Breaking SummerAugust 28, 2012: Matthew Good Solo Acoustic Show Wraps Up Successful Summer
Suggested Tweet: Record breaking summer @SunPeaksResort ! http://ow.ly/dgkcF
Sun Peaks, BC - The community of Sun Peaks is looking forward to celebrating a record breaking summer at the Matthew Good Solo Acoustic Show this Saturday. This July and August saw the largest number of visitors in one summer day on record, the most summer chairlift passengers on one day, as well as growth in overnight occupancy each month this summer (see figures below).
Sun Peaks is attributing its success to a summer events strategy which has been growing for several years. Concert events like the Kevin Costner & Modern West show, third party events with operators like Dirty Feet Trail Series and a growing awareness of annual events like the Alpine Blossom Festival and Retro Concert Weekend all provided value added reasons for people to visit Sun Peaks this summer. The strategy has helped bolster resort business in an otherwise slow economic atmosphere.
“Our numbers are up in summer that could easily have been down,” says Peter Ernst, local restaurant owner at Sun Peaks. “The events strategy has been beneficial for everyone and helped stabilize our micro-economy.”
“We started to focus more on events and street entertainment a couple of years ago,” says Christopher Nicolson, President of Tourism Sun Peaks. “Events attract first time visitors and complement our many activities. We have already noticed guests returning to Sun Peaks in August following a first time visit in July.”
• Monthly resort occupancy 14 per cent growth over last year
• Monthly resort occupancy 8 per cent growth over last year
• Record number of July room nights sold
• Kevin Costner Concert (July 7) saw highest summer village hotel occupancy on record at 92 per cent and largest number of summer resort guests (overnight and day visitors combined) in one day at an estimated 6,000 people
• Chairlift rides during the BC Cup Mountain Bike Downhill race weekend (July 13 & 14) surpassed last year’s busiest weekend by 207 per cent.
• Monthly resort occupancy is currently pacing 23 per cent ahead of last year
• Alpine Blossom Festival (August 4) saw the most summer chairlift passengers in Sun Peaks history in a single day
• Total number of golf rounds to-date up by 25 per cent
• Monthly resort occupancy currently pacing 16 per cent ahead of last year
The community is anticipating welcoming another several thousand guests to the resort this Saturday to enjoy the free outdoor concert event featuring a Canadian singer songwriter line-up headlined by Matthew Good.
1:00pm Vince Vaccaro
4:30pm Stef Lang
6:00pm Matthew Good
Front Stage Access Area
Option 1 - $35 per ticket
Option 2 - $25 per ticket when booked with 1 night accommodation
*max 2 special priced tickets per booking
Option 3 - FREE tickets when booked with 2 nights accommodation
*max 2 FREE tickets per booking
Book online or call Central Reservations at 1-800-807-3257.
Two nights stays, including complimentary Front Stage Access tickets start at $89 per night. One night stays including $25 Front Stage Access tickets start at $109 per night plus ticket. Other ticket and accommodation packages are also available.
Book online or call Central Reservations 1-800-807-3257.